1. Call to order
2. Roll call
3. Pledge of allegiance to the flag
a. LEAD HEALTH HAZARDS. Mary Morrow of the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office and attorney Vanessa Parker on the proposed lead ordinance and the protections it provides to landlords.
b. SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOLS PROGRAM. Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS) and Scott Klein along with Martin Ladd on the Safe Routes to Schools program.
c. AUDIT PRESENTATION BY ALAN C. YOUNG & ASSOCIATES, PC. The City of Hamtramck, Michigan Financial Report with Additional Information for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2007 was received and placed on file January 22, 2008. Representatives of Alan C. Young & Associates, PC will be present to explain findings and answer questions.
d. METRO TIMES BLOWOUT MUSIC FESTIVAL Eve Doster Knepp concerning shuttle service for the event.
5. Public comments concerning agenda items
SECTION I: PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. OBJECTIVES AND POSSIBLE USES FOR DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS USING 2008 FEDERAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT (CDBG) FUNDING Pursuant to federal guidelines, the city of Hamtramck is announcing its objectives and possible uses for development projects using federal community development block grant (CDBG) funding. The city’s allocation for 2008 is approximately $375,000.00
Public Improvements $50,000.00
Code enforcement $39,000.00
Repayment of EPA loan $66,400.00
Repayment of Jos. Campau Section 108 loan $93,500.00
Repayment of Grand Haven/Dyar Section 108 loan $96,100.00
Countywide housing rehabilitation $30,000.00
The public is invited to attend and comment on the proposal during the public hearing or to make written comments on or before February 11, 2008. Written comments should be made to the attention of the Downtown Manager, 3401 Evaline, Hamtramck, MI 48212.
SECTION I: UNFINISHED BUSINESS–Ordinances scheduled for second reading and ordinances or resolutions previously postponed.
SECTION II: CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
The following items will be adopted on a single motion without discussion unless a councilmember requests separate consideration.
1. City council meeting minutes–
a. January 22, 2008 regular meeting
b. January 28, 2008 special meeting
2. Board and commission minutes
a. Hamtramck Housing Authority–December 19, 2007 and January 16, 2008
3. Fund warrant list and payroll. Backup materials for all bills listed for payment are available in the controller’s office.
5. RESOLUTION APPROVING THE TRANSFER OF 3923, 3939 AND 3951 YEMANS BY THE CITY OF HAMTRAMCK TO TOWN CENTER HOMES Authorization to transfer city owned property to meet requirements of the R-31 housing project.
6. RESOLUTION APPROVING EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT WITH T. EDWIN NORRIS The resolution approves an employment agreement with T. Edwin Norris as city clerk.
7. RESOLUTION APPROVING EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT WITH NEVRUS NAZARKO The resolution approves an employment agreement with Nevrus Nazarko as controller and finance director.
8. RESOLUTION APPROVING EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT WITH MARTIN LADD The resolution approves an employment agreement with Martin Ladd as public services director.
9. Financial reports for January 31, 2008.
SECTION III: NEW BUSINESS–Ordinance introductions and resolutions for initial consideration.
1 RESOLUTION APPOINTING JOHN MEYERS OF 3841 CANIFF, HAMTRAMCK TO THE ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS Placed on the agenda by councilmember Klein
2. RESOLUTION SUPPORTING THE GRANT APPLICATION TO THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION FOR FUNDING ACCESS’S WORK FOR THE CITY UNDER THE SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOLS PROGRAM. Placed on the agenda by councilmember Klein
3. ORDINANCE CONTROLLING LEAD HAZARDS IN PRE-1978 STRUCTURES, INCLUDING ESTABLISHING MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR INSPECTIONS AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF THE PROVISIONS HEREOF The ordinance is designed to give notice to occupants of structures that there may be a lead paint hazard and provide for methods of abatement to protect occupants. Placed on the agenda by councilmember Klein.
4. RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING EXECUTION OF A CONTRACT FOR SERVICES BETWEEN THE CITY OF HAMTRAMCK, MICHIGAN AND MICHIGAN MUNICIPAL LEAGUE FOR EXECUTIVE SEARCH SERVICES Employment of the Michigan Municipal League to
5. RESOLUTION ESTABLISHING THE CITY MANAGER SEARCH SUBCOMMITTEE CHAIRED BY THE MAYOR. Authorizing the committee to work with the MML to secure qualified candidates to present to the council for interview. Authorize the committee to create qualifications, set salary range and experience, vet the candidate applications, present to council and the mayor the most qualified candidates, perform background checks on preferred candidates, and participate in contract negotiations. Placed on the agenda by councilmember Klein.
6. RESOLUTION APPOINTING AS VOTING MEMBERS ON THE CITY MANAGER SUBCOMMITTEE CATHY GORDON AND KATRINA STACKPOOLE AND AS NONVOTING MEMBERS CITY ATTORNEY JAMES P. ALLEN, SR. AND A MICHIGAN MUTUAL LEAGUE REPRESENTATIVE. Placed on the agenda by councilmember Klein.
SECTION IV: OTHER ITEMS
1. City manager=s reports
2. Non-agenda items and other business
3. Public comments
NOTE: Anyone planning to attend the meeting who has need of special assistance under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is asked to contact the city clerk=s office at (313) 876-7700, 48 hours before the meeting. Staff will be pleased to make the necessary arrangements.