The William Dickerson Detention Facility at 3501 Hamtramck Drive, also known as “Division Three” by the County, is north of Interstate 94 off of Mt. Elliott Avenue. (Google Map)
The facility opened November 18, 1991 at a cost of $60,500,000. The jail has 804 beds and employs direct supervision. It provides laundry and food services to the entire Wayne County jail system. The Dickerson facility occupies 16.7 acres and is approximately 500,000 square feet in size.
According to the Hamtramck Citizen this week, City Controller William Barnett gave the County ten days to pay the $800,000 it owes the City but the County refused to pay. Wayne County is only willing pay $500,000 and claims the City of Hamtramck owes it $4 million because of past overpayments.
If the County is right and has been overpaying Hamtramck for the William Dickerson Detention Facility, then there will be hard times in Hamtramck. Further, the city officials who agreed to house the facility for a mere $500,000 made a bad deal.
Dickerson Facility Quick Facts
- Facility type: Podular direct supervision
- Status: Operating
- Elevation: Mid-rise
- Total beds in facility: 868
- Total direct supervision beds: 836
- Total direct supervision pods: 14
- Beds per direct supervision pod: 56 to 60
- Maximum inmates one officer supervises in a direct supervision pod: 60
- Non-direct supervision pods: 1
- Non-direct supervision detail: 32 beds are used for disciplinary detention and protective custody inmates.
- Number of disciplinary detention beds: 24
- Direct supervision pods that are dormitories: 6
- Beds per direct supervision dormitory: 60
- Dormitory detail: Four-bed clusters are separated by four-foot masonry walls
Information and Sources:
William Dickerson Detention Facility
3501 Hamtramck Drive
Detroit, MI 48211
(313) 875-7003; fax (313) 875-7928
Wayne County: http://www.co.wayne.mi.us/sheriff/jails.html
National Institute of Corrections: http://www.nicic.org/pubs/1995/012722.pdf